Institute of Agricultural Research and Training…………….. Improving Farmers’ productivity and Livelihoods
A world class Institute of Agricultural Research, responsive to farmers’ and other stakeholders’ needs towards Sustainable Development.
To develop, validate and transfer appropriate demand-driven agricultural technologies that are ecofriendly, affordable and adaptable through effective agricultural research and extension system.
- Establishment of Research Programmes primarily to meet the needs of the Government and Agricultural Communities.
- Overall integrated agricultural resource development and training strategy.
- Training of middle level manpower to disseminate technologies.
In 1989, the Institute was given the mandate to be a Zonal Coordinating Research Institute in the Country and now has additional national and zonal mandates as follows:
- Research into efficient use and management of soil resources for increased and sustainable agricultural productivity.
- Research into genetic improvement of kenaf and jute.
- Southwest Farming Systems Research and Extension in various agro-ecologies.
- Research into maize, grain legumes and trypanotolerant livestock for SouthWest Nigerian ecologies
- Development of improved processing and utilization technology for crops and livestock
Excellence, Team work, Discipline, Innovation, Transparency and Integrity.