OMOLE, A. J.
HEAD OF PROGRAMME
- To identify, evaluate and improve breeds of livestock such as cattle, sheep, goats, pigs, rabbits, snails, cane-rat and poultry adapted to South-west agro-ecologies.
- To develop appropriate low cost and efficient feed resources.
- To develop appropriate management/husbandry system.
- To develop appropriate low input and cost effective health package, including ethno-veterinary and indigenous technologies.
CURRENT RESEARCH ACTIVITIES
- Conduction and completion of some farmers oriented projects to solve problems relating to farmers and livestock industry despite limited resources
- Assisting the I.AR&T. Trained farmers to market their livestock products when there is glut thereby encouraging farmer to produce more
- Publishing of manuals on livestock farming ( snail farming, broiler and grass-cutter production)
- Distribution of exotic piglets (Large white, Landrace and Duroc etc.) to farmers at subsidized price for genetic improvement of their stock
- Adaptability and Farrowing of the exotic pigs with good litter size
- On farm artificial Insemination of available farmers pigs (Sow) with good litter size and high survival rate
- Periodical training of farmers and visit to farms by livestock experts.