Prof. O. T. AYOOLA
Head of Programme
Zonal mandate for genetic improvement of cowpea, soybean and lesser legumes
CURRENT RESEARCH ACTIVITIES
- To develop high yielding varieties of food legumes that is resistant to insect, nematode and diseases.
- To develop low-input production technologies for various food legumes.
- To develop sustainable production technologies for underutilized legumes towards food security, poverty reduction and biodiversity conservation.
IDRC, Ford Foundation, SAFGRAD
International Foundation for Science
(i)Development of high yielding cowpea varieties
(ii) Development of brown blotch resistant cowpea varieties
(iii) Development of Integrated Pest Management Technologies in SW Nigeria
(iv) Supply of pure Ife Brown seeds to farmers.
(v) Intensify research on lesser legumes.
The 2018 in-house report of Grain Legumes Improvement Programme
The general focus of Grain Legumes Improvement Programme (GLIP) is to develop appropriate and sustainable technologies for increased productivity of food legumes to meet national demands. We are responsible for the development of sustainable production technologies of food legumes to serve the farmers in South-west Nigeria. Grain Legumes Improvement Programme is endowed with experienced and well-groomed scientists that cut across various disciplines such as crop breeding, agronomy, soil microbiology, crop protection and seed science that are able to address challenges envisaged in developing acceptable varieties of grain legumes that will be adaptable to the Nigerian Southwest agro ecologies
Advisory services to farmers (small, medium and large scale) in Nigeria in general and the south western zone in particular. Scientists serve as resource persons to Agricultural Development Programmes (ADPs) within our mandate zone.
EVENTS ORGANIZED BY THE PROGRAMME
The programme participates in train the trainers workshops organized by the SWFSR&EP which has the mandate for organizing such. The programme also participates in agricultural shows, exhibitions and field days.
In recent past, GLIP has recorded some landmark achievements, among which are:
- Development and release of three elite cowpea varieties namely:
- Ife Brown cowpea
- Ife BPC cowpea
- Ife 98-12 cowpea.
- Germplasm collection and conservation of some underutilized grain legumes (Pigeon pea, African yam bean, Lima bean) in Nigeria.
- Development of appropriate dosage of pawpaw leaf extract for effective control of brown blotch disease.
- Development of appropriate and optimum spraying regimes for profitable cowpea production in the humid environment of South-west Nigeria.
- Collaborated with IITA to develop soybean varieties such as Samsoy-1, TGX1019-2EN, TGX1740-2F, and TGX1440-1E.