Head of Unit
CURRENT RESEARCH ACTIVITIES
- Design and construction of mini Lysimeter for crop water use determination
- Design and construction of modified low cost biogas production plant
- Design and construction of modified low cost batch biogas powered pasteurizer
- Land reclamation for agricultural uses
CURRENT RESEARCH GRANT
FUNDING AGENCY: I.A.R.&T.
- Research in Low Cost Biogas Production
- Design and Construction of Lysimeter for Crop Water Determination
- Efficient management of irrigation for Improved Water Use Efficiency
The AEEU was established in May 2014 to expand the frontier of productivity through the integration of engineering and agricultural research activities in the Institute of Agricultural Research and Training on the micro level and agricultural production systems in Nigeria at large.
To provide “Engineering Solutions for Enhanced Agricultural Productivity”
The AEEU was established as a research and services support unit to bridge the existing gaps between agricultural production practices and required technological innovations for the advancement of agricultural productivity. The unit was therefore mandated to;
- respond to Institute’s agricultural and environmental engineering needs through application of appropriate, relevant, efficient, affordable and sustainable engineering based principles.
- initiate bridges between engineering related research findings and farmers’ needs.
- Initiating new research/innovations in solving identified agricultural and environmental issues.
- provide services for the improvement of research outputs in the Institute as well as supports for low, medium and large scale entrepreneurs who may require agricultural engineering solutions in all its forms.
- provide services to different levels of stakeholders in the agricultural production value chain with focus on engineering and machinery/mechanization inputs as may be required.
OUR OPERATIONAL FRAMEWORK
AEEU provides services in the following areas
- Provision of advice on the design, procurement and management/maintenance of agricultural equipment e.g. farm machineries, greenhouses, processing equipment etc.
- Provision of needed engineering input and services to the research programmes and crop production unit towards bridging machinery and mechanization need.
- Design of farm mechanization plans and production activities for interested entrepreneur e.g. feasibility studies, farmstead plan, agricultural engineering consultancy etc.
- Identifying of and suggesting useful linkages with relevant agencies of government, NGOs, research institutes and universities for possible collaborations and adoption of engineering related technologies
- Engaging in production of farmers and extension guides for developed engineering related agricultural and environmental technologies
- The AEEU provides consultancy services in Farm Power and Machinery, Agricultural commercialization, farm mechanization, irrigation engineering, agricultural waste management (conversion and re-use) and allied consultancy as may be required by farmers (at different levels)
- Consultation for irrigation farmers and better field water management
- Design of water lifting and storage system to support vegetable research programme
- Fabrication of artificial insemination dummy for swine production section of the institute
Achievements: during the relatively short period of existence of the unit, it has been able to:
- help in the determination basic crop water use and other related parameters for maize varieties developed by the institute.
- develop sizing guidelines for biogas reactors based on required time of gas usage for low cost-small scale biogas plant.
- develop technologies for low cost irrigation installation for adoption by small scale farmers